May 6, 2018
Ferndale Pride offers its largest-ever festival for 2018
FERNDALE – For its eighth year, Ferndale Pride on Saturday, June 2, will offer its largest-ever festival footprint, nearly 40 percent more vendors, a rock-climbing wall in its children’s area and the most pre-festival events ever.
The annual family friendly street fair draws thousands of members of the LGBTQAI community to celebrate diversity and unity.
More than 150 vendors, as well as bands, disc jockeys and other performers, will converge on downtown Ferndale for the street fair. This year’s festival footprint includes West Nine Mile Road between Woodward and Livernois avenues and portions of Planavon and Allen streets near West Nine Mile. Pre-festival events have been going on for months with 20 remaining events planned before, during and after Ferndale Pride this year.
The expanded children’s area, sponsored by Blue Care Network of Michigan, will feature a rock-climbing wall. In addition, the first 500 kids will be able to create a mask. A sober space area designated to allow adults to engage in activities in an alcohol-free atmosphere will feature, games of corn hole, a giant jenga game, coloring activities and support for sobriety.
Proceeds from Ferndale Pride benefit Affirmations, Ferndale Community Foundation, Gender Identity Network, Matrix Human Services MAC Health and Transgender Michigan.
Pre-pride events will include the fifth annual Hot Daddies contest from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at Soho, 205 W. Nine Mile Road. The contest will feature men age 35 or older competing for the title of hottest. Bring your dollars to vote for the hottest daddy and raise money for Ferndale Pride’s charities.
“Finding Our Strength,” a research exhibition by Transcend the Binary, will open from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 31, in the Pittmann-Puckett Art Gallery at Affirmations, 290 W. Nine Mile Road.
Events for Saturday, June 2, will kick off as the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce presents its sixth annual 5-kilometer Rainbow Run at 10 a.m. For more information and to register, visit www.ferndaleareachamber.com.
Ferndale Pride’s main event, the street fair Saturday, June 2, will run from 1 to 10 p.m. Admission is free for the fair. Vendors will line the streets selling food, beverages and goods, as well as providing information. Numerous downtown restaurants and merchants will provide promotions and specials.
Two stages will be turning out metro Detroit musical acts. The dance stage’s lineup will include DJ Dav, Dangerous Curves, DJ CoolkidSue, Nader and Octavia with a special performance by fire twirler Alexa Rae. The main stage will be a mix of genres, including PRISM Men’s Chorus, Amelia Airharts, AcousticAsh, AllDay MonDay, Trey Connor, Telephon9, Scarlet Lies and this year’s headliner – Chastity Brown.
After-Pride events will begin Sunday, June 3, with Rosie O’Grady’s Drag Brunch offering shows starting at 1 and 3 p.m. at Rosie’s, 279 W. Nine Mile Road.
Additional events include:
- 9:30 p.m. Friday, May 11, and continuing until 2 a.m. – Live band karaoke at Dino’s, 22740 Woodward Ave.
- Wednesday, May 23 – Pontchartrain performs at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road. Doors open at 8 p.m.
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 29 – A Boy Called Ricky: Storytelling event with Erica Carter, a black, transgender woman from southwest Detroit who will share pieces of her journey, at Affirmations.
- 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, May 30 – Screening of the documentary Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic at Affirmations.
- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 31 – Water is Life, Water for Flint collection. Bring water donations to Affirmations.
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, June 1 – Moon1Luv featuring Eric Carter, performing songs she wrote and produced, at Affirmations.
- 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, June 2 – Interfaith Fellowship Service at Affirmations Sky Deck.
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Aff’ Groups Meet & Greet at Affirmations.
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Youth Recess Café at Affirmations.
- 12:30 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Wedding at Ferndale Pride’s main stage.
- 1 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Talk Saves Lives: LGBTQ Suicide Prevention with American Foundation for Suicide Prevention at Affirmations.
- 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – HIV/STI testing with Matrix Human Services MAC Health at Affirmations.
- 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Hepatitis A vaccinations with Oakland County Health Division at Affirmations.
- 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – Free confidential/anonymous HIV testing with Unified at Affirmations.
- 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, June 2 – A Mystery Most Queer: A Youth Prom Experience for ages 13 to 20 at Affirmations.
- 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 3 – Axle’s First Birthday, 567 Livernois Ave.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 9 – 12th annual Bears in Speedos Car Wash in the parking lot at Level One Bank, 22635 Woodward Ave. Get your car washed by Detroit’s Motor City Bears dressed only in Speedos. All profits benefit Affirmations and the Ruth Ellis Center.
Ferndale Pride is made possible by sponsors including Candle Wick Shoppe, MotorCity Casino Hotel, Genisys Credit Union, Blue Care Network of Michigan, the Graphics Geek, Larson Lens, Kramer Restaurant Group, Bud Light, Ferndale Haus, Szott M59 Chrysler Jeep and Suburban Buick GMC of Ferndale.
For a complete listing of events, or for details on becoming a sponsor or volunteer, visit www.ferndalepride.com.